Home remedies for constipation
Bowel movement is a topic we usually avoid talking about. But there are times when our stomach feels bloated and tight. There is an urge to move the bowels but nothing happens after trying. In some cases even if you somehow succeed to pass bowels it hurts. This is constipation.
Constipation may be defined as a condition where there is difficulty in emptying your bowels. Usually, this condition is associated with hard faeces. If you are suffering from less than 2 bowel movements in a week, straining while passing bowels, incomplete feeling even after passing stool, unable to pass stool even after using manual pressure or hard stool that causes bleeding then it is a matter of concern.
Constipation may be caused due to different causes such as:
- Poor diet
- Irregular habit of defecation
- Sedentary habits
- Weak abdominal muscles
- Certain medications
- Abuse of laxatives
- Weak abdominal muscles
- Less intake of water
- Less intake of fiber
Whatever the reason may be constipation keeps you distracted all the day and make you feel embarrassed. But do not worry any more.
In this article discovers top 10 home remedies for constipation that will provide a quick relief. Try them and get rid of constipation without taking any drug or laxative.
Home remedies for constipation
- Figs- Insoluble fiber increases the bulk of stool and promotes the bowel movements. Figs being rich in fiber acts a natural laxative. You may take both dried and fresh figs for this purpose. While eating figs make sure to eat them along with the skin as most of the fiber is present in the skin. Also, the skin of the fig is rich in calcium. You may also make a DIY remedy for constipation with fig as an important ingredient.
DIY home remedy for constipation
- Soak 3 almonds and 2 figs overnight.
- In the morning peel the almonds and grind them along with figs.
- Add a tablespoon of honey to it and make a paste.
- Take it every day at night for a few days.
- Lemon water– If you are frequently constipated drink a glass of lemon juice every morning. Lemon is rich in citric acid. It eliminates undigested matter and toxins from the body and also improves digestion.
- Sesame seeds– If you suffer from hard and dry stool try sesame seeds. Its oily composition moisturizes the intestine. Add sesame seed to salads or season your foods with them. This will not only treat constipation, but will also add taste to your food.
- Aniseeds– Aniseeds are one of the popular remedy among the home remedies for constipation. It has been used since ages to treat any kind of stomach upset such as bloating of the stomach, flatulence, abdominal cramps and even constipation. Chew half teaspoon of aniseed and drink a glass of water.
- Psyllium husk– Being rich in fiber psyllium husk adds bulk or weight to the stool and acts a natural laxative. Thus, it makes the stool move through your intestines. Take a teaspoon of psyllium husk along with a glass of milk. Make sure to drink a lot of water and keep yourself hydrated or it may clog the intestines and worsen your constipation.
- Guava– In comparison to other fruits this underrated fruit is a rich source of fiber. It acts as laxative and treats constipation. But do remember not to chew its seeds, but try to swallow them as whole.
- Olive Oil– Not only olive oil is one of the best healthy options among cooking oils, but it is also very effective home remedy for constipation. The texture and the consistency of olive oil stimulates the digestive system and helps the stool move through the colon. Mix a tablespoon of olive oil and a teaspoon of lemon juice. Consume it in the morning empty stomach.
If you suffer from frequent constipation, add olive oil to your daily diet to prevent constipation.
- Raisins- The laxative property of raisins are owed to its high fiber content and presence of tartaric acid. Eat 5 ounces of raisins every day to loosen the muscles of the digestive system and improve the bowel movements. To increase its effectiveness, eat them with a bowl of yogurt. Yogurt contains probiotics. Probiotics are the good bacteria that promote digestion.
You will also find cherry and apricot useful in kicking constipation.
- Castor oil- For immediate relief from constipation, try castor oil. It stimulates bowel movements and within a few hours of its intake you will find your condition improving. Swallow 2 teaspoons of castor oil in the morning before eating anything. Better add castor oil to a glass of fruit juice or lime juice to improve its taste. But once you get relief discontinue it immediately.
- Baking soda– Among home remedies for constipation baking soda is one of the most effective remedy. It contains bicarbonate that not only reduces stomach ache but also relieves from flatulence and belching. It also aids smooth bowel movements. Take a glass of lukewarm water and mix a teaspoon of baking soda to it. Drink this solution and kick off constipation.
- Aloe Vera– Aloe Vera is well known for its beauty and health benefits. It works like wonder in any stomach issue, including constipation. Extract fresh aloe Vera gel and add it in a glass of lukewarm water. Drink it in the morning empty stomach and see the result.
- Ginger and peppermint tea– On one hand ginger speeds the digestion and promotes the elimination of wastes. And on the other hand, peppermint relaxes the abdominal muscles. Make a tea by steeping crushed ginger and a few leaves of peppermint in a cup of warm water for 15 minutes. Strain the concoction and drink it to treat constipation.
The above mentioned home remedies for constipation are tried and tested. So next time when you suffer from constipation why not try them out.